PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work Visa renewals
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2021, 08:16
TimeToWhine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the moment 3 month visa extentions are only being given to those who can show immigration that they have upcoming duties. Those that have nothing but G days are out of luck and just have to sit tight with an expired visa until/if this whole thing gets sorted. Once expired it’s all catch 22; can’t get a visa unless you have work, can’t get work unless you have a visa.

Lots of guys sitting around right now that aren’t able to put their kids in HK schools at the moment, no access to public healthcare or use of medical insurance, can’t sign a new lease on an apartment etc. Also spouse can’t work unless their company is willing to sponsor them which most aren’t. Advised not to leave HK as wont be able to return on an expired visa. I’m on my second three month renewal now but I’m fortunate enough to have a very busy roster. Not sure there will be a third but then maybe it’s for the best and I will just go back home to be with my wife and kids permanently.

It’s clear foreigners aren’t really welcome here. This will become more and more evident in time. Why gamble a full career in HK for very inadequate pay living in a shoebox if you will get thrown out sometime down the road anyway, only to start a again in your home county. May as well do that now so you’re at least ahead by then.

In the mean while, getting any information from the company is like pulling teeth. It seems like a low priority for them or they don’t really care. Even if there is no update to report, at least state so in the newsletter so we know they haven’t forgotten about it or give a damn.