PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - REX to transition to ATRs, start domestic jet ops
Old 31st Mar 2021, 05:22
DanV2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnleft080
Struth, a common sense approach. Looking into the crystal ball Singapore would be first mob on the list that would hold interest in merging Rex/virgin. They would buy and pay out Bain and PAG.
The LH aircraft won't be 330s/777 it would be a one fits all i.e. A350,B787-9, or last pick 777 with folding wings and I hope all the redundant pilots get first pick.
That's assuming covid is over and Singapore are all cashed up again.
If Rex are employing the Tiger pilots then they may go full circle and be flying back with Virgin's active Tiger AOC come 2 or 3 years.
Originally Posted by Lookleft
When will people understand that SIA is very good at what it does within the Republic of Singapore but outside of its borders it has a large number of failed airline investments. Why would SIA or rather Temasek consider putting any more money into an Australian airline given the failure of Ansett, Tiger and Virgin? I can't see any state owned carrier investing until their own balance sheet has recovered from the ravages of COVID. As for Qantas going the way of Ansett because of fleet types, its not going to happen. Mainline only has one narrow body type and one wide body type on its domestic network. The other aircraft are flown by contractors. As for LH it is only the 787 and A330 that it is currently operating. Types grounded or not yet purchased can't be included in the "too many types" box. Qantas is run by people who at least understand the industry. Ansett was run by a newspaper owner and a road transport owner who had very little knowledge or interest in the airline industry.
Agreed. Qantas has already seen the back of Singapore Airlines from the Australian domestic market three times already. To think QF would be scared of SQ would be laughable at best.

Dixon oversaw the first demise (NZ and AN) and Joyce got to see 'SQ' run off from the Australian domestic scene with their tail inbetween their legs TWICE after the Tiger Airways and Virgin financial failures. The combined Virgin failure/Covid effects meant SQ also had to be bailed out by their government parent (Temasek) as well.

A lot of speculation in regards to SQ and/or Temasek regarding any interest in the Australian domestic market (apart from SQ's ill-fated Virgin 20% stake) in the past few years prior to COVID had always ended up as fake news.

I don't any airline (state owned or not) will be investing any further in other airlines apart from the existing ones they may keep until their financial balances recover to a point where some aren't as reliant on government handouts/bailouts.