PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stating out
Thread: Stating out
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 01:23
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuffer

The comments about Coronation Street et al were not directed at you personally! They were meant for 'you' generally (the Wannabes). The only comment pointed at you was about the lack of a 'recruitment outbreak' which you alluded to. I would say there has been a sharp rise in recruitment since the summer. The problem being the large competition for every post.

As regards self made luck, the point I am making is quite a bit of recruitment in this industry, especially for first-timers comes down to right place, right time. That was certainly true for many who I know, including me. The point being that all those who I know who had this element to getting their first job were working very hard on finding that opening and did not just send CV after CV to every airline in this country in the hope that the phone would ring. Again, I am not suggesting that you personally do or do not do enough, it is a general comment aimed at all Wannabes. There are plenty out there who do not do enough and for some strange reason think a job is just going to land at their feet. Hopefully it is these people who may read this thread and get the hint that more effort is required.

I would like to use your comment about contacting 70 operators in the last three weeks as an example if I may. It is this kind of groundwork that is needed to secure that first job (I am just guessing that that is what you are searching for at the moment). You are right that your determination will bring results at some point. I also don't think that any increase in recruitment in the next few years is going to look like a 'goldrush', there are simply so many guys out there looking that it will take some considerable time (if at all) for the market to switch to a 'sellers' market.

I wish you well with your jobsearch and rest assured you are way ahead of many with the determination you are showing.

PP