PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 30th Mar 2021, 09:30
GDAJB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kungfu,

Thats not a correct assumption I am afraid. I’ve never worked for BA, although I have had the pleasure of being a passenger with them on everything from the VC-10 through to Concorde! My recent workplace has been much closer to yours. As for “all of my property”..... truth be told, I’ve only ever had one at a time, and the bank owned most of that until recently. House price inflation has certainly been remarkable over the last few decades but as most people tend to trade up, the paper “profit” is really just an indictment on what you are going to have to pay for the next one.

I am not sure I would agree with your comments about the “current 45 year age group” having it tougher than my generation ever did. I understand where you are coming from on this point, but It is perhaps from a slightly blinkered perspective that I would venture is likely to change as more birthday cards get relegated to the junk cupboard? My oldest kids are already approaching that demographic, and whereas they might agree with you, I am not sure I would. Certainly, the overall degradation in terms and conditions puts a lot of additional pressure on people these days and that effect tends to spread out in time. I’ve been on this site for some 25 years now (clearly not in this particular guise) and I’ve seen how true that is with regards to all stages of a pilots career within that same time period.

Most pilots (or indeed anybodies) motive for uprooting to the Middle East, is broadly to find opportunity and stash some tax free cash away for whatever their perceived needs and wishes are at that point in their lives. I don’t think it really matters if you are 22, 42, or 62. Those reasons will all be valid. If it’s any consolation in the current reality, I very much doubt that older pilots made redundant will ever be invited back, whereas those with a potential decade or more ahead of them very likely will. However, I don’t believe it is incumbent on those who escape this fate to do anything other than thank the gods for smiling on them.