PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 30th Mar 2021, 05:48
kungfu panda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GDAJB

That is a really nice post. Thank you for expressing your opinion in such an articulate way.

I do humbly disagree though. I presume that you're a career British Airways Pilot. I also presume that a similar conversation has gone on within your company.

The reason that I would disagree with you is far more profound than the reasons at our company here in the ME.
Whilst you've been with BA, your pension has been degraded, but remains very good. At the same time if you'd have started your career in the late 1970's or the 1980's, all of your property would have seen a phenomenal rise in value. Especially in the London area. I understand that interest rates were high early on but that has been made up now with 25 years of record low interest rates.

The current 45 year old family man will be facing much greater struggles than your age group ever has. Years now of unemployment will effect him and his family's life far more than if you were to take voluntary early retirement.