PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force - part of RAF?
Old 30th Mar 2021, 00:13
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your post ACW342 - very interesting, and pleased to hear your bombing skills were better than mine! They hadnt improved by the time I was going through the NBS course at Lindholme and I got a record mine mile error on one of my trips. Still, it clinched my posting to Victor tankers instead of Vulcans at the end of the course, so it worked out well.

Re blagging flights, one of my best was in one of 20 Flight Sioux which were based at Kai Tak at the time. One day a mate on 20 Flight asked me if I fancied going for a swim. I said I did so he told me to go and get my bathers. We jumped into a Sioux, headed off into the NT and landed on a beach somewhere. After a few minutes we were hailed by the occupants of a floating gin palace moored just off the beach. We swam out and they invited us on board for a drink (soft of course!). As I sat there in a scene reminiscent of a James Bond film I had to remind myself that I was actually getting paid for this!

Re Kai Tak mess, yes it was on the opposite side off the Kwun Tong Road, as has been said. The steepish hill leading down to the busy dual carriageway could be a bit unnerving. I had a chum who had an old Mk V Jaguar with very dodgy brakes. On a number of occasions I remember him coming down that road, frantically pumping the brake pedal and the rest of us with our fingers crossed hoping that we would be able to stop and not just sail into the always busy traffic.

One of my better postings (and I met Mrs TTN who was a QARANC sister while I was there). Happy days.