PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 29th Mar 2021, 09:49
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one agree with kungfupanda, in so far as those able to afford to retire before 65 should do so. This is morally good, in that it is an action intended to help less financially able. Simply that.

I witnessed the occasional philanthropic act of just this at bmi, back in 2001/2, when Bishop summarily chopped many pilots after 9/11.
It happened again at TCX during the frequent pilot culls. But rarely.

HOWEVER, there were MANY MORE wealthy guys in their early/mid 60's who did not budge. Their reasons they gave were that they simply enjoyed the job and had worked hard to get there. They had massive pension pots, which they often boasted about. They often sought advice on the flight deck.as to where to invest all their extra money. I could name some now, so many years later. They were despised.I believe there are quite a few at BA like this on the 777 fleet, and presumably the 350/787 fleets too. This is a sad state of affairs. Man's inhumanity to man is alive and well in BA.

Greed unfortunately over-rules almost everything in the airline world, from senior managers down to the occasional thieving cabin crew member. Senior pilots are no exception. And this is doubtless also the case in the benighted and godless sandpit.

My best wishes and hopes to the young indebted people, who do need a leg up.