PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you deal with this scenario?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 00:07
Flock1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you deal with this scenario?

Hello all,

I am a new(ish) PPL (A) and I have yet to do either an IMC or an IR rating.

So here is the scenario, and it is one that I sincerely hope I never ever experience myself....

...an inexperienced, but fully-qualified PPL pilot (like me) sets off from his (or her) little airfield, and somehow finds himself in IMC conditions. He did check the weather beforehand, but because he got himself a little lost, he has drifted into the BAD weather. He can't see the ground, he's not entirely sure of where he is, and after doing a 180 orbit, he is still in conditions that are potentially deadly. his nerves are now fraught. But he doesn't tell anyone yet.

As luck would happen though, he happens to be in contact with an ATC controller from a Class D airport (say Leeds or Newcastle etc), and he is on the edge of their zone. His transponder is showing up on their radar.

The pilot is panicking now, and knows that he is in major trouble, but is somehow remembering his PPL training about instrument flight, and is just about managing to keep at straight at level.

Should he declare an emergency? Should he try to leave the airport zone? Anyway, let's assume that the weather is really BAD, and he cannot see anything at all outside. Let's also assume that the cloud base is 200ft agl up to 15000ft, and it is widespread. He is flying at 2000ft, and there might be some high ground nearby. He cannot be expected to fly out of the mess, and in addition, the vis below the cloud base is about 1km. Wind though, is not a factor (which is probably explains the fog.) His fuel is okay, say a couple of hours, but his temprement is not. When he calls you, you know he is on the verge of losing it soon. He is a statistic waiting to happen.

...So how would you help him out. How would you handle this dreadful situatioin? Would the big jets be told to orbit, and would you try to talk him down via an ILS approah (which he may have done on his flight simulator at home). Would you just keep him going 'round in circles, until the weather hopefully lifted?

And to add a further question. Let's say he does manage to get his single-prop aircraft down in one piece, what punishments will befall him? And how much would he be charged?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing your replies.

Flock