PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skill Decline in pilots pre Covid
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2021, 13:54
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beg to differ. I a world now where the number of emergencies is smaller than 30 years ago, when it was possible to learn on the job, one simply trains differently. First of all the ability to fly the plane without automation working is paramount. That can be taught and is not being taught sufficiently well. I did 250 hours for my CPL with 100 hours on aerobatic aircraft, 100 on light singles four seaters and 50 on twins. Nowadays they do around 180 yours with no aerobatics and nothing like the amount of bad weather instrument flying that we had to undergo. Flying manually on instruments in bad weather or with distractions is second nature when you are trained to do it. Secondly the learning has to be by studying all the events that do occur. with great interest and to learn from them. Take the Lionair Max. If I were flying the MAX, after Lionair I would have learned from what happened, how to avoid it and of course found out all I could about the crash - including the fact that the day before they did not crash with the same fault. How did they avoid it? By trimming and turning off the STAB OFF switches. It beggars belief that a second crew did not learn from the first one, and that a third crew suffered the same fate. I am not excusing MCAS design flaws - they were egregious, but the plane could and was flown to a safe landing the day before. That is how we learn. Among a raft of other ways I believe.