PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ladies in the sky
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2021, 13:06
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprite
Example 1: most female pilots weigh less than the average male pilot, so they are able to carry more pax, freight or fuel on a typical GA flight (instructing or charter)

Example of systemic discrimination: most if not all aircraft are built for the average male. Rudder pedals, seat height etc are built for a male body. Women face a hurdle from their first flight in a training aircraft...those who make it make all sorts of accommodations for the fact that the aircraft they’re flying are built without any consideration for them.

We all have our strengths, but women have to overcome more hurdles to learn to fly.
Nicely put.

I like to think about it from this point of view:

If my daughter wanted to become a pilot like Dad, what obstacles stand in her way?

The previous poster mentioned grip-strength for nose-wheel doors on an HS-125, and ladder climbing on a Falcon 2000. That’s a pretty big generalisation... I have a female friend who is a kickboxer in her spare time. Not only is she taller than me, I’d say her grip strength probably exceeds mine.

Regardless, I’d have to be a pretty bad father to tell my daughter that’s why she can’t be a pilot. If that really mattered, then a small tool for the nose-wheel doors and a slightly taller step ladder should solve the problem. Next?

I would tell her that nose-wheel doors and ladders wouldn’t be her problem, it would be that she would have to deal with people who would assume she can’t do the job. For example, she would attend an interview with an HS-125 operator who would prefer a male. Or not even get an interview.

She would just have to deal with that.

It would be nice if, one day, she didn’t have to deal with that.

But before I go, I mentioned a hypothetical daughter, who might want to be a pilot, like Dad.

Anecdotally, many female pilots I have come across have had a pilot father, relative or friend. That has given them the initiative and drive to go for it, with the available help and mentoring.

I like to think of the average young girl, who’s mother might be a receptionist, or stay-home mum, and who’s dad might be a tradie, or not even in the family picture. What are her chances of even thinking of becoming a pilot, let alone working out how to achieve the goal?

You probably know such a girl... would she consider becoming a pilot? If she did, would her parents immediately dismiss her for even considering such an absurd life goal?

Is this a problem we need to solve? Is this even a problem?

I think this a more interesting discussion than so-called quotas.