PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Car electrical failure causes man to drown.
Old 28th Mar 2021, 06:43
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Roll seat back as far as it will go, raise feet to windscreen, bl**dy hard double foot kick. Rinse and repeat until happy
Thanks for all the most interesting replies. Kicking out a window is what a solo trainee pilot did when his Winjeel caught fire at 3500 ft over RAAF Base uranquinty NSW in 1956. He was a short chap and unable to reach far enough backwards to pull an emergency handle that would jettison the canopy overboard.
So he released his seat harness and clambered from the left seat to the right seat and managed to kick out both side windows. He then dived through the gap but the buckle of his parachute release box caught on a projection under one of the windows which were mighty small.

He was able to kick his way free then rolled on to the port wing and slid off the wing and parachuted to safety. By then the engine fire extinguished itself leaving the Winjeel to glide nicely trimmed until it gently hit the ground in the middle of Uranquinty village. Just before he got out he put in lots of right rudder trim to help the Winjeel turn right to avoid the village; except the Winjeel was so well trimmed it did a 360 rate one turn and hit the village anyway. No one hurt but several chickens died of fright when it landed near their coop. When the fire rescue truck arrived 10 minutes later the canopy was still on the aircraft but no sign of the pilot.
I saw him bale out and we all thought he had had it until his parachute finally opened in time.

Re the RAAF canopy breaker tool which was introduced circa 1963. It equipped the Sabre, and later the CT4 and Macchi jet trainer in those days. Experiments revealed it would break through a Sabre canopy in 30 seconds of hammering. It saved its first life when a RAAF Sabre aborted a takeoff at high speed in Ubon. It finished up in a paddy field and caught fire. The pilot could only wind back the canopy a couple of inches befor it jammed. He used the canopy breaker tool to jemmy his way to safety. I have seen pictures of the Spitfire cockpit. The side opening hatch to the cockpit has a small crowbar clipped in place. So the principle is not new
Before I left the RAAF in 1969 I managed to obtain one of the original canopy breaker knives and to this day it is in the glove box of my car.. You never know..

Last edited by Centaurus; 28th Mar 2021 at 07:07.