PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Car electrical failure causes man to drown.
Old 28th Mar 2021, 06:22
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
During a rescue I broke a side window which was tinted, using a crow bar, it took a few whacks to get it to shatter (I used the pointy tip) and a few more to dislodge the film. I had the RescueMe glass punch, but reached for the crowbar when I saw the window was tinted.
Noise reduction seems to be a popular reason for having laminated fitted. Laminated side windows is an option on XC90 Volvos, but they have a crash awareness system that unlocks door following a crash.
Some manufacturers do not make them an option for both front and back side windows see attached list.
Personally I'de be lowering windows as soon as possible rather than waiting for pressure to equalise and then opening the door.
Once the water is in the car it is almost impossible to buildup the energy to kickout front or rear windows.
Anyone who has done HUET has, no doubt, thought about self extraction from a vehicle. I carried a compact set of self extraction tools when engaged in aerial photography, as I have experience and training in extraction... also spare air ect ect.
Anyone who live in Netherlands care to comment on best practice for driving alongside canals on a daily basis?

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...hicle-List.pdf

A jolly subject.. not.

Mjb