PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawk incident near Culdrose
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2021, 21:51
Non Linear Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
Snag with birdstrike "rumour" is that it would not account for the "rumoured" grounding of the entire T1 fleet.
Unless of course there was a concern that the new variety of Hawk T1 engine oil was particularly attractive to sea birds.
How many hours was it between the crash and the grounding of the fleet? Not enough time to get an investigation team down there to remotely start to accertain why that Adour Mk 151 engine decided not to produce any more thrust. I do not know if the accident sequence started at meduim level or low level. Low level over the sea, there is always the risk, same over the land. Not spotted, engine destroyed with RPM dropping and EGT rising/falling. Pull up to get height and time. Try and relight. pilots would have no idea why bar bad noises, the aircraft is slowing down, losing height and the engine dials winding down / warning panel / master caution statrting to go mental. Fleet would be grounded because the cause is not known and birdstrike is a possiblity that cannot be discounted untill the investigation is completed. As I said, I have seen what a gull can do to an Adour after climbing down the intake. I am also an LAE so know a little about aeroplane structures and systems in general.