PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2021, 16:34
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great shame the decision went the wrong way but I guess not unexpected. Most runway extensions end up going for appeal so looks like it will end up that way. The fact remains that SOU have ticked all the boxes planning wise for the extension and the government will pass the planning accordingly.

It just shows what a joke local authorities are who always resort to satisfying the individuals that scream the loudest. I would hazard a guess that the majority of the people who support the extension are normal people with jobs and families and who hardly ever use social media to thrust their opinions on others. Those who opposed sensible decisions as a result of narrow mindedness always seem to have the time to campaign with their placards and constantly push out miss information on social media. I bet the majority of residents who took part in the meeting were against the extension which is completely biased.

Regardless of the above and correct me if I am wrong, circa 60% of the respondents to the planning permission were in favour of the extension. In a sensible world that should be the figure the councillors look to when assessing local support and clearly it gives them a mandate to support the extension. Their decision in some ways is pure corruption as the planning submission was recommended for permission by the local authorities own planning department(!) and public support was in its favour. Unfortunately this point will not be pushed as mentioned above the people that support are normal people who will just get on with their lives. We are living in very dangerous times where the minorities get their own way as they shout the loudest and the majority live in a compromised world as a result.