PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skill Decline in pilots pre Covid
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2021, 13:24
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very concerned about how many pilots have very poor flying skills and are in the front seat of an airliner. It's a serious issue that amazingly quite a bunch of pilots will still deny it nowadays. I'm convinced that sadly we will see more and more accidents who could have been avoided if the pilots had proper hand skills. It's a fact that it's potentially very dangerous but it seems most airlines accept to take that risk since 99.99% of the time automation will do the right job and therefore do almost nothing to help their pilots to have decent flying skills. I think also the main issue is that in many airlines nowadays, the top managers, instructors some of them are reluctant to hand flying, they probably aren't able to fly at ease a raw data ILS anyway, and will push their pilots to use the automation all the time as they believe it's safer... Some airlines don't even allow pilots to disconnect the Auto Thrust or to fly without FDs... That's should not even be legal IMHO. I'm lucky enough to have always flown for airliners who let's us fly raw data during line operations but even so I have flown with many guys who never do it and some of them I guaranty you that... Well let's just hope they will never end up in an AF447 scenario.