PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2021, 20:22
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also of course the nature of the job has changed beyond recognition in a short time.
Fair comment. My first airline job was in 2008, and imho the industry has got worse even in that time.

A small example:

2009: 450 block hrs (full time). Regional, no night flying, few night stops. A very easy life.

2015: 750 block hrs (God only knows what the duty time was). Middle East, constant night flying, regular fatigue. Not fun.

2019: 720 hrs. Long haul, every trip is at least 1 night out of bed, circadian rhythm wonders what hit it. LHR-CHS, 2 days off, LHR-NRT, 2 days off, LHR-MAA? No problem because EASA says it's legal.

I'm now part time, which has restored my enthusiasm (not to mention quality of life). Before COVID, my part-time (75%) block hours would have been around 450-500 per year - i.e. what I was doing full time when I started. There's progress for you.

Other opinions are available; the best advice I could give any wannabe is to ask as many questions as possible, to as many people as they can, and make up their own mind if this is a career for them.