PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2021, 10:24
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ownership is a side issue and a legally complex one, that's a lil bit of "whatabouttery". My key point is there are tens of thousands of staff working for a UK based airline at risk of redundancy. If you want to claim they're really Spanish owned then go ahead, it doesn't change anything. Nissan are Japanese owned but have thousands of UK based jobs.

"Terminology use will not obscure the fact that MAN presents far less of a problem for "friends and colleagues" than IAG domiciled in Madrid paying its taxes there too". I don't understand what this means.
When you complain that BA sold out to further the interests of shareholders with no thought for staff that's false. Air France and KLM merged, Lufthansa got hold of Swiss and Austrian, in that competitive environment BA and Iberia came together to stay competitive. The might of IAG allowed cost savings which allowed them to stay competitive and invest. Aer Lingus also sold out. Medium sized European flag carriers are not competitive on their own, especially against govt owned foreign comptitors like the ME3. Job cuts today often ensures survival tomorrow, it's harsh and cruel on a personal
level but time and time again ends up being the right move. The very existence of Ryanair caused Aer Lingus to cut and slash and destroy wages all so we could fly for a decent fare.