PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 Recovery Phase: Revalidation of Class Ratings ORS4 No 1418
Old 25th Mar 2021, 00:58
mabmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am somewhat frustrated by all this and I am sure that I am not alone. I hold a UK-issued EASA PPL. Its validity expires on 31 March 2021 (ie end of second year). I have not flown for a year and so consider that I need some refresher training with an instructor before my next solo flight. In normal circumstances I would have expected to have taken a proficiency check before the expiry date but as this has to be within 3 months of expiry and we have been in lockdown for the whole of this period, I have not achieved it. Moreover to start any flying with an instructor and to prepare and undertake the check will not be possible until mid April, after the expiry date. From the CAA documentation it would seem that anyone who has had an expiry date since November is in the same position.

As I see it, if the CAA does not extend the expiry date, I will have to follow the renewal rules; i.e. be assessed by an ATO, undertake a designated course of instruction with a written outcome to present to an examiner for a proficiency check and that all the paperwork, including the individualised training course details will have to be submitted to the CAA. On the other hand, if the validity is extended I will be able to follow the normal revalidation process, albeit with the revised hour requirements, provided I can achieve this within the extension period.

Am I correct in this?