PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Litton INS - LTN-72RH
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2021, 09:42
baigar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi G4PoweredDecent, thanks for your answer! Always great to hear first-hand experience! Surely you had plenty of time playing with the systems during your time riding the DC10 ;-) Some questions after reading your cool post:

92 had 100 waypoints
Hm, I guess in real life you never used more than a hand full of waypoints, even on longer flights, right? Before advent of digital means for exchanging route information it was probably to cumbersome to enter all these waypoints correctly using the numeric keypad?

I have both these units on my shelf and used both during my years flying the DC10
Ups - so the pilot taking the aircraft over from you for the next flight was wondering how to navigate without a CDU to operate the INS? (Just joking )

Radio updates from DME/DME would periodically bring about a course correction.
That is an interesting point - so there was no intervention with the INS necessary and the correction was entered automatically via the digital connection between the Radio nav and the INS or did you at least have to confirm a correction on the CDU before it got active?

Usually less than about 0.3nm/hour of operation from what I can remember.
Wow, that indeed would be auite nice. But I guess this value is from the navigation accuracy mixed from the three INS installed and maybe regular (1/h) radio updates?

I still have the user manuals for both these units
Amazing! Meanwhile I got hands on the relevant pages of DC10 documentation for the wiring (that is what you probably refer to as Lam Schematics?) if the INS to the CDU and to each other. Are the manuals you mention the "Pilot's manuals" or do they contain more technical information (or even schematics?)? You can always reach out for me via private mail using erik -at- baigar -dot- de. Thanks for your efforts in replying here!