PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use Of Rudder In Large Transport Category Airplanes
Old 24th Mar 2021, 08:59
NGjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use Of Rudder In Large Transport Category Airplanes

I just read a interesting IFALPA briefing leaflet titled "Use of rudder on Boeing aircraft". One conclusion towards the end of that article was that (quote) "The rudder in a large transport aircraft is typically used for trim, engine failure, and crosswind takeoff and landing." In other words, do not step on the rudder pedals during normal operations except when required in crosswinds during takeoff or landing.

At this point I would like to clarify that I am familiar with the AA587 accident, its reasons and conclusions. I agree that the incorrect use of the rudder was a causal factor for the loss of control there, and I want to stress that I do not want to start another discussion about the inappropriate and/or excessive use of the rudder in large jets.

What I would like to know is your opinions and experiences regarding the subtle use of the rudder in situations where it would be perfectly warranted in smaller aircraft types, such as after departure or in a traffic pattern. What I could so far gather from my fellow colleagues out on the line is that the vast majority of pilots shies away from using the rudder like the devil shies away from holy water, and understandably so when reading that even the manufacturer recommends to do so (as mentioned above). In most situations at normal speeds during climb, cruise and descent that makes perfect sense to me as well, but there are some situations where I would like to question this mindset. For example, when flying a SID which requires a large turn at low speed after departure the slip/skid indicator in a B744 shows a considerable deflection (with or without the autopilot engaged). The airplane is actually in a sideslip since the aerodynamic forces at low speeds are not strong enough to prevent the tail from "hanging" down into the bank. This is not an issue at higher, "normal" speeds, but at low speed and low altitude it kind of goes against everything I've learned back in the days on the single engine trainer. The more uncoordinated the airplane flies, the larger the turn radius will become, and to some small extent there will also be a little bit of performance loss (even though I will admit that this should have a negligible effect in a all engine operating condition).

So, in airplanes where the autopilot does not control the rudder directly, would it really be so terribly wrong to GENTLY and SLOWLY add a little bit of rudder in such situations until the slip/skid indication indicates coordinated flight again?

I often hear the argument " Don't you know what happened to that Airbus in New York?", but like I said above, a gentle and appropriately slow rudder application has nothing to do with what happened with AA587. It would be the same like saying that we should not use the yoke to control pitch during approach because we might pull back too hard, stalling the airplane or overstressing it at higher speeds. As highly trained pilots we should all be able to judge the amount of control input required to maintain our flight path, and if we aren't, what does that say about our abilities to safely fly the airplanes we are rated on?