PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best IFR planning software for pilot students
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 18:00
math341c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SkyDemon was recommended by my chief instructor. for my VFR flights, I do not understand why it is bad to use software. When you have made VFR flights on paper a few times, there is no need to do everything manually it is waste of time. In software planning apps you still need to create the route. Away from obstacles, research NOTAMS, weather, etc so it does not does the job for you, it just makes it easier. The software just shows you it all at once, and you do not need to search for every single piece of information you need.

By the way, i agree with the others, sitting with a piece of paper and doing calculations with Flight Computer is not even accurate, this is mainly VFR. The Flight Computer is not that accurate, can clearly feel it with ATPL questions, where you get a much better result when you do calculations with a calculator. So again another reason why it's better to do this with Flightplan software, much more precise calculations for winds, heading, and so on.