PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 10:05
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Stir the pot and get some discussion.

You need to be satisfied the student has an understanding? Indeed, otherwise the instructor is taking the money under false pretenses, I suggest. Unfortunately, it is a matter of regret that some instructors struggle to get up even to the level of the blind leading the blind.

Is that why we need to do a 1inop gear down off track PNR and get the answer right to within 20kg of fuel? That is a ridiculous level of understanding not required to fly a modern jet transport aircraft. Or a DC9 etc. Of course I concur with you - that's why I observed in my previous post - "I make no comment as to whether I concur with the style and accuracy requirements of the exams these days". However, the Regulator calls the shots and the candidate has to run the gauntlet, regardless.

you get a blank look and a reply “What does that mean? Lots of you old blokes say it! One can only observe that struggling to achieve a performance goal below the lowest common denominator is rather sad.

we're stuck with incomplete guidance (SOPs) and terrible use of unspecified methods ("the only correct answer is the one I get") rather than specific tolerances. Perhaps the examiner isn't able to call the shots in isolation and is subject to constraints outside his immediate domain ?