PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 20:08
andrewn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've a feeling this is one of those (many) Defence reviews that wont age well at all. In years gone by you could get away with capability cuts today on the basis of false promises of jam tomorrow, but we're in a situation nowadays where every capability cut is real and is going to hurt.

Scrap C130 and putting all our Tac/SF airlift in the A400M basket. Nobody else think that is a good idea so why do we?
"Growing" the FJ force but cutting 25 Typhoon's. Someones telling porkies here. Typhoon is pretty much all we've got for the next few years, making cuts now just makes us look a laughing stock.
Retiring E-3, taking a capability holiday and a reduced buy of 3 E-7 ? We ordered 5 what seems like only yesterday.... Love to know how they're gonna provide a 24/7 air picture for "Global Britain" ?
As for the F-35 follow-on buy, there's nothing there that commits us beyond 48. I'll be amazed if we end up with more than another dozen.
Culling the Hawk T1. cheap and versatile, gives people seat time when they wouldn't otherwise get it. Another desperate dan act
And as for increased synthetic training and future Tempest (it's nothing more than a R&D project) I just despair...