PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 11:00
Jammysticks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because there are so few topics in this forum I thought I might throw this in here... What are people's opinion of this video on YouTube: "Should you still become a pilot | ALL STAR PILOT COLLAB | FILIPINA PILOT CHEZKA@"

(Sorry for the spamminess of sending a title - I haven't made enough posts here to be able to post a URL yet)

Basically, it's 30 minutes of various pilot influencers saying that there has never been a better time to start flight training than now. The reason? Because the market will be growing again in 2-3 years when the pandemic passes.

My issue with this is that when airline traffic does pick up again, airlines will be growing from a far lower starting point than the size they were at in 2019. So it won't be growth as such, but a slow rebound to 2019 levels. This surely means that all these jobs will go to those who were furloughed during the pandemic, no?

Is it me, or is now an incredibly foolish time for a young person to begin flight training with the expectation of being hired in 2-4 years? Do you think the people in this video really believe what they are saying? The cynic in me says that many of them don't, but that they know they wouldn't grow as pilot influencers if they told their largely young and pilot-aspiring audience to hold off on the dream for a few years.