PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zone/CFIS Operations
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 05:12
AviationBloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zone/CFIS Operations

Is it me or does anyone have problems with the way these operations are managed.
I hate to be particular but there’s just so much that’s wrong with the way HKATC operate and manage these functions! I suppose I’ve got to start somewhere... What about any guys here flying or controlling within the HK CTR? Or any of the expats controlling ZNC?

1.When operating VFR in the CTR for example a fix wing aircraft or helicopter. What type of service is being provided?

2. When joining instructions are issued, often I hear them passed with no direct instructions and given by Zone Control. I’m willing to bet, without coordination with the Tower ATCO. This is unusual...
Positive clearances should be issued. In my opinion and from experience, a clearance limit (VRP) within range of the airport is given ( maybe to add “ expect) and passed to Tower ATCO. Then Tower positively issue join instructions.

3. CFIS, C stands for Centre as in ATCC(Enr/App) but it’s now situated in the VCR (Tower). Another bizarre move which serves no better purpose. How did this pass through any adequate SMS process?

Also with CFIS I’ve heard controllers issue levels to climb, restricting levels for separation and radar derived information. How does this happen unless there’s a deemed separations in use by a Procedural Approach rated ATCO in a position that’s designated internally and externally as such or a Service provided again prefixed by service associated with Radar of some sort.
All to often, climb is requested and the ATCO will say “remain outside controlled airspace, remain VFR as required” or similar, the response will be “hmm so am I clear or say again”. Maybe by virtue of the pilots lack of response by not reading back the words FIS as the service notified as issued by ATC, maybe the pilot doesn’t know what a FIS is! It would be interesting to know what they think they’re getting and on a serious note, safety wise.. it needs sorting! Probably waiting for an incident to take action first.

I could go on.. but this first...

any joiners...?

Last edited by AviationBloke; 25th Mar 2021 at 03:26.