PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow before the Europa terminal and Queens building
Old 21st Mar 2021, 08:15
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
Interesting to see the rail link from the Reading /Windsor to Waterloo line at Feltham which was never built but probably should have been - even today there is still a lot of open space between that line and southern LHR.
But there was a railway line there; single tracked splitting from the main Paddington - Slough line at Yiewsley. What it was used for I don't know but the tracks south of the old Bath Road (no longer the A4 as this designation was transferred to the Colnbrook bypass) were still down up until the '80s at least so probably just used for goods trains; I think it originally joined the line from Staines to Windsor and Eton Riverside just north of the Staines bypass near where 'PI crashed however I think the section of it south of Bath Road disappeared when the M25 was built and it looks as if it finishes at Poyle now in an industrial area just north of the old Bath Road .
There was also a huge marshalling yard on the south side of Hounslow Heath, just north of Hanworth aerodrome; you can still see traces of it on ZoomEarth..