PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Flaps request
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2021, 00:00
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saying things like "speed checked" or avoiding actuating multiple hydraulic devices simultaneously, should be based on the company's SOP regardless of whether we find it superfluous. (Happily for me, neither is a part of my airline.)

But if a certain sequence of actions sets off a gear horn, then IMO airmanship requires we don't do that. At best, it's very annoying, and at worst, it conditions our brains to ignore it as a meaningless sound that falls to the background in normal ops, and therefore makes it likelier to ignore if we get a real gear horn with the gear up. (The cries wolf effect.)

Also, generally, the PF shouldn't call for actions before they can be done. It sets up the PM to forget by the time 10 or 20 seconds have rolled around and the conditions are met, and other distractions have gotten in the way. It's the PF being out of the loop, and unfairly burdening the PM. The PF should stay in the loop and call for the thing when he actually wants it. Don't have any more balls in the air than necessary.

Thirdly, it is very possible that for a combination of circumstances to render the strict following of SOP to be inappropriate, as it's impractical to write a manual that can consider every single possibility - and judgment should therefore be used. And the preface to my SOP chapter, says exactly this. However, all too often I see this used as cheap justification for being lazy, instead of actual good judgment.