PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Group Captains Galore
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2021, 18:23
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
As an archetypal Old Cold Warrior I accept that things have changed. The Air Force is much smaller but strives to be better and more effective. It seems to achieve this but I do worry that it retains sufficient mass. The overburden of administration and legislation however has certainly not decreased in proportion to the force size, if anything the opposite has occurred. I recently read:

“The Changing of the Guard - the British Army Since 9/11” by Simon Akam.

Whilst one might not agree with all Akam writes; and he refers specifically to the army; there is much in his book that at the least should provoke thought. I am sure that the other two services have similar traits. At the core of Akam’s concerns, is that the army still lacks accountability and tends to reward failure. I am sure it has raised blood pressure in places, but I am equally sure that some aspects will ring true to most who have served in any of the services.

On a lighter and mischievous note, I should enjoy asking one of the myriad Diversity and Inclusion Zampol managers “....and what is your war role?”

YS
😇