PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Group Captains Galore
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2021, 18:22
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Far East Driver is correct and then again 22 Sqn was the largest (in aircraft terms) and was also commanded by a sqn ldr.

The RAF (until about 1969) had General and Supplementary Lists, several types of direct entry aircrew commissions and Branch officers. The General List (eg Cranwell grads) were those on full career terms and the Supplementary List contained the 'also rans'. It was possible to transfer from supplementary to general (I did it about a year before it was abolished - but then I took my 'B' and 'C' exams the year they were binned and so was trebly f**^ed).

I do believe that there is a place for those who simply want to fly or whatever and those who genuinely aspire to carve a successful career and as long as the latter realise that : a. they are favoured and b. don't think they are God's gift and try to lord it over others, things can work. There used to be a retired AVM who resided at Cranwell and his job was to read Forms 1369 (confidential reports) and pick out 'high flyers' or put the black spot on the no hopers.

Of interest, there were a significant number of Cranwell graduates who, having been promoted to sqn ldr en masse, didn't get any further.

Perhaps somebody will resurrect the 'green shield stamp' sqn ldrs - HEY HO!!!!

Old Duffer