PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia ‘jamming signals’ at RAF Cyprus base
Old 20th Mar 2021, 11:30
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by etudiant
Russia was officially tagged as hostile by Britain and the US President has formally called the Russian President 'a killer'.
Surely that gives Russia all the freedom it might want to be as unhelpful as it could be.
Russia? An excuse to be unhelpful? Think you're getting your "chickens" and "eggs" the wrong way round! I suspect that the closest we ever came to the idea of Russia being helpful (in the past 100 years or more) was with Gorbachev. History tells us what happened there. WW II also saw "co-operation" ... but more as a means to an end for Stalin in his quest to eject the Germans from Russia.

Since Gorby & Yeltsin, Russia has stepped back, not into the old Soviet ways - but into more of a "sovereign democracy" which is slightly less benign than it sounds. Interestingly, both Stalin and Putin had/have strong Russian nationalism as a core concept - and nothing wrong with that. Pride in the Russian nation and people etc. However, they both used/use peculiar ways of holding on to power - it is those "methodologies" which have caused so much controversy.

Of course Putin is mad with Biden as Biden "says it as he sees it". It was quite useful to Putin to have Trump in the Whitehouse. Given the way the Trump "empire" has been financed Trump was always going to be muted in any criticism of Putin - a classic case of "entrapment" which, ironically, was more by accident than design! Trump sort of just fell into it decades ago as his business empire was struggling financially and he was grasping at straws just to survive!!!

So, belatedly, returning to the Thread, this jamming is just one way of expressing "Russian nationalism" - of demonstrating that Russia is "great again". I hardly think the jamming and Putin's feelings towards Biden are related - the former would have happened anyway. Who knows what Putin will do re Biden. This could be a real "popcorn" moment which, hopefully, will not see anything daft being perpetrated. The odds are not good I suspect......