PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 07:08
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
That link doesn't seem to work Megan.

Airline work is very predictable with risk mitigated to the lowest level - as you would expect as a passenger - they can have standard procedures for pretty much everything, they take off, they climb, they cruise, they let down and they land, not much more too it.

Many pax carrying helicopter operations work the same way for the same reasons.

SAR is different, unpredictable, dynamic in nature and often involves flight in hazardous regimes and conditions. That doesn't mean the crews shouldn't apply SOPs and they certainly should know how to effectively manage their automation.

I'm sure there are some things in this accident you can blame the company ethos and training for but this wasn't a newbie crew - I haven't read their SOPs for poor weather/night letdowns over the sea but I would hope it includes having the radar on a screen in the front as well as the back.

We also come back to the lack of NVG - unforgiveable in my view for modern SAR - but correct use of the kit on the aircraft would have saved the day, as would prompt response to the warning from the cabin.

An airline pilot would be castigated for grabbing the controls and hauling the aircraft into a turn but that is what was needed with this late spot - they were slaves to the automation in this case and it cost them their lives.