PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR S-92 Missing Ireland
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 06:47
megan

Received 436 Likes on 221 Posts
could have just used the aircraft's far higher capabilities instead
crab, an article quoting a mate of 212man, it will be an interesting report to see if it may come under the misuse of automation or lack of standardised procedures procedures ie SOP's as I previously mentioned. It seems the helo industry has been slow to learn from the airline industry if Cramp's last statement in the quote is any indication. The airlines consider SOP to be handcuffs and and on board systems will snitch if you transgress, surely SAR can go about its business with handcuffs rather than handrails. I appreciate you have to hang it out further and take a bigger bite of the cherry than other operators, but without guidance and leaving it up to the crew on the day to determine limits one should not be surprised when thinks & things go pear shaped. As I understand it airlines even dictate what the PF & PM have up on their screens for the particular stage of flight - T/O, cruise, landing. Wonder if that could be a possible issue with this accident, and would a TAWS have provided last chance warning?
Safety working groups have focused on accident causes—such as controlled flight into terrain, loss of control because of crew interaction or mismanagement in the cockpit, or aircraft system failures and reliability— and identified means to mitigate them. Among the mitigations is the development of standardized procedures on the use of aircraft systems automation as defined in the flight crew operating manuals (FCOM) drafted by the OEMs. Such documents, though standard in the fixed-wing world, are relatively new to the helicopter industry, which had allowed operators to develop their own procedures. This led to some misuse of automation that resulted in safety incidents. Many of the large and medium helicopters used by the offshore industry have now had FCOMs written for them, in part thanks to the efforts of HeliOffshore.

“A lot of what we’ve done over the years has been replicating the practices that have made the airline industry so safe,” Cramp says.
https://aviationweek.com/forum/aeros...6f2293489d2236

Last edited by megan; 19th Mar 2021 at 07:03.