PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/IRR(A) Proficiency check.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 06:07
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
As Whopity said, nothing has been updated and there is no reference to use of autopilot in standards doc 25. Conversely standards doc 1 specifies that for an initial IRT the autopilot can only be used in the cruise section, and not coupled for any form of tracking. Whilst “logic” and “CAA” may not go well together in the same sentence it does seem logical to assume that the fact that it isn’t mentioned suggests that it isn’t intended to be available. That makes sense as the majority of candidates for the IRR still tend to be PPL holders who are liable to fly aircraft with could have limited equipment, I originally did my IMC rating test forty years ago in an aircraft that just had a fixed card RBI for the ADF and a CDI for the VOR, and the approaches trained for were SRA and timed NDB approach. There is no reason that an aircraft so equipped couldn’t still be used today, and whilst nowadays most clubs have access to ILS/ DME/ GPS very few club or privately owned aircraft have an auto-pilot, so it makes sense to expect the candidate to be able to fly the test without one.

The airline LPC mentioned by Rudestuff is different, as unless it’s for an MPL the candidate is required to have passed a ME IR and demonstrated their basic IF skills prior to the first type rating course.