PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Woke Air Forces
Thread: Woke Air Forces
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2021, 08:24
Easy Street

Received 80 Likes on 36 Posts
The OP inferred that 'Generation X dinosaurs' were to blame for rampant wokeism. No! As a collective my generation is decidedly sceptical on the whole thing (and the youngest of us are only just 40, hardly dinosaurs in modern terms). Like the OP I see encouraging signs of scepticism from Gen Z, particularly young women on the gender self-identification issue. We have to grit our teeth and get through the phase of maximum Gen Y influence in the working population (which is what the civil service leadership is responding to; military leaders ape them for career brownie points). Politicians are, I think, already looking beyond Gen Y - see Kemi Badenoch's excellent dismissal of critical race theory in the Commons from a few months ago, identifying it as illegal to teach to schoolchildren as an uncontested idea, and scrapping unconscious bias training for civil servants. And other elements of society have recognised that it isn't one-way traffic to a woke future: see the courts ordering closure of the Tavistock Centre, see the Met commissioner ordering her officers not to kneel for BLM and retaining the public's confidence, see the line strengthening on transgender participation in womens' sport despite the best efforts of campaigners.

This will pass; it'll be a painful few years but I am becoming more confident! Boomers were radical once (hence the 'reactionary' conservatism of Gen X) but raising children tends to foster a less radical outlook and that's what Gen Y is now doing in earnest.

Finally, should you ever despair of the media, social or otherwise, be reassured that most politicians understand very well that it (especially Twitter) is not representative of public opinion, even if our seniors sometimes fail to.

Last edited by Easy Street; 18th Mar 2021 at 09:51.