PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2021, 15:21
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I get that longer runway allows greater flexibility of aircraft use, and that pilots see this as job security. I'm not looking for "you are anti-aviation and should be banned from this website" comments.

However, I'm struggling to pick out many airlines, given their current and planned fleet, where this extension is really going to add this flexibility or allow new routes to be opened

Can someone nominate some credible specific airline-aircraft-route triple combinations that would become enabled by this runway extension ?

Yes, that includes factoring in that a 1h flight needs less fuel, so less runway is required to depart, compared to a 4h flight. A 777 from SOU to NYC off no more than 1900m is for dreamers and not commercially credible

There will be a battle with the environmental crowd - clear, strong and specific arguments will be needed for a longer runway. Details of those new potential routes are a good way of convincing minds; shouting at people that they are stupid won't win the argument

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 17th Mar 2021 at 15:34.