PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BUMFFPITCHH.. H?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2021, 22:40
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
are we really expected to tailor the pre-landing sequence to suit every different a/c
Yes.

if a check list for one's a/c is on one's knee pad and a mnemonic helps, why codemn its repetition or redundant words ? One day they may save your U/c !
Full of contradictions I'm afraid and is not supported by any evidence. I gave an example earlier in this thread demonstrating the poor value of a mnemonic even when associated with touch controls. This was not to reflect my point of view but is based on very real human factors. Things that are normal even when not in place can be supplemented by the brain. The accident statistics are full of incidents such as: I know I put the gear down, I always set the flap to landing and i don't know why they are up, I always apply carburettor heat before throttling back but your telling me the mixture was out and the carburettor heat was cold.

GASCo have a clip of a stage play of the Agatha Christie genre. The clip is shown a second time but the characters are clothed differently and items are missing. The audience are invited to spot changes.You may not be surprised by this not easy to spot. However during the second showing of the clip an actor in an apes costume crosses in the background and this is rarely observed. The brains were not activated by the owners to spot things new and therefore can edit out that which it is not expected or part of the job description.

The following is not uncommon: "I never bother with pre landing checks these days and nothing has ever happened, why should it"? Fortunately things rarely do go wrong but we shouldn't assume: because things haven't gone bad on us then its good to say that what we do is effective.

Si cela peut arriver, il sera

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 16th Mar 2021 at 23:02.