PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2021, 13:27
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
..... walking in wearing what was almost a replica RN uniform with wings and four gold rings on my sleeves must have put them on "Walt Alert". .....
Or, more likely. "Oh sh1£, where has that Captain {RN} just appeared from???!!! Anyone seen a VISITEM on this? What the hell??????!!!!!! Ah, wait, no scroll; a Mivvie!!!! Must be a Walt!!!".

When a baby Apprentice, parade uniform was black trousers and black jacket, white shirt and epaulettes and black tie. One Friday I was due to see an old school mate now at Uni and living in digs (an old farm) a couple of miles outside Oxford. Divisions ran on for some reason so, once wrapped up, I decided to high-tail it in rig to beat the Friday rush as best I could. I ditched the jacket and headed on my way - but retained tie on as, technically, I was still in rig.

Pitched up at the farm and had a good weekend - but didn't see much of the other "inmates". Drove back South on Sunday and arrived in the Block to a message (these being pre-mobile/internet days) to call my mate urgently. Wondered what I'd left behind that required an urgent call back but obliged. After my mate had cautiously exchanged a few pleasantries (How was the traffic? etc) he finally came to the real reason - "Look, I've had a request from the rest of the house-mates - that you don't turn up in uniform next time you visit if that's OK with you."

Seems, when they saw me stepping out my car, they assumed I was a uniformed copper in an unmarked car leading a Drugs Bust on the farm and I had cost them a small fortune as they rapidly flushed a stash of incriminating "materials" down the loos! On hearing this, me laughing didn't go down too well - "Look, NO uniform next time!!!! They are not happy bunnies - in fact I think we should give it a while before you next visit!". I never did go back ........ he moved out to a place in town the following year! Prolly just as well........