PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blind following of flight directors yet again
Old 15th Mar 2021, 05:07
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
:-) "Neither am I in disagreement with the concepts"
Sorry, just pointing out that picking the correct arguments to support each side makes the debate more enjoyable. Pinteam saying more handflying would reduce the number of hand-flying accidents just look at them - I do not see that many at all. There are valid, just, and noble reasons for the case, only this is not one of them.

Is hand-flying being discouraged these days? Absolutly sadly yes. And it seems to bring benefits previously unattainable, but not for the pilot (ego) indeed. Still saddens me.

With the brush already at hand, the other day a couple of guys claimed they need and we all should increase the amount of handflying once back on the line after COVID. Pushing the idea it cannot wait for later months as it its a critical, job-defining skill (it is, okay) and most specifically so that you are ready and up to speed if the black-swan that requires properly polished hand flying comes
on the very first day upon returning!?

Stunning logic, really. Either you are trained for it from the SIM or you suck and the airline will be rightfully torn into single rivets at court. Practicing in the first and second week won't help much for that event, would it?

Check Airman We fly the same type and surely your sim checkrides (thinking some extended programme to return after a break) would include the G+Y, which is hand-flown by necessity. For us it is OVC 500 X-W 15 at checkride, OVC 300 X-W 25 during training. Handling the latter well is a pre-requisite to entering the check-phase, where you still need to land it straight and proper, usual tolerances apply.

If on the line solo, you passed this about a fortnight ago. Another 10 day of LIFUS/LOE inbetween to get comfortable and the line-check where you will be asked to do a hand flown approach or disconnect early.

What type of BLACK SWAN do they have in mind you would not be ready for YET? Need help with this ...