PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blind following of flight directors yet again
Old 15th Mar 2021, 04:00
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
It would be impossible to gather this statistic.
That's why I challenged pinteam as the predicament to his statement was such statisctic. Irony lost in trasnlation, sorry for that.

I disagree with your model of "the commander does not take the correct decisions. " A "decision" implies
You're reading too much into it, I am not that versed. Facing the simple choice of saying "making wrong decisions" I elected play smart with "not taking the good decisions". At the time of writing it looked reasonable as I tried to convey observed empirical reality that handflying reduces the brainresource to make decisions (in the true meaning you explain agreeably).

people having made the "decisions" to attempt an idle-thrust goaround, or slow the plane 30+ knots below approach speed, or watch the airplane roll up into a steeper and steeper bank without doing anything about it, or watch it go further and further below the runway without doing anything about it. To say that the pilot incorrectly decided to do those things seems.... like a farcical description.
Agreed! That is exactly why I said NOT TAKING the good decisions.

No, I would argue that none of those actions were based on "decisions" under any meaningful sense of the word. A was not consciously chosen over B. A (for Automation) was the default, and esablished as such over thousands of hours of consistent operation. For any alternative B to happen, this default has to be overcome, which is extremely difficult when it takes the comfortable mental place of the final backstop of flight control manipulation.
Sorry, now that I noticed you partly try to disagree with the opposite of what I wrote, deciphering what may be relevant in this last paragraph is not compatible with my timezone a.t.m. For the record I never discussed the choice of engaging the AP or not, but the other choices and desicions that need to be solved regardless of automation state, and specifically which of the basic chess-board laouyts (AP=on vs. hand-flown) leaves more spare processing power.

First thought, your opinion: If Asiana@SFO was hypothetically flown remotely by a remote pilot UAV-style, would the captain at chair 0A / 0B had better chance to a) notice b) evaluate correctly c) take preventive action against the speed-loss (combined)? Compared to himself flying manually at the time.