PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are aviation degree students being told?
Old 15th Mar 2021, 01:14
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
If you’re going to do a degree, at least do a proper one - one from any of the STEM disciplines. Then go spend your $100K on flying lessons. This degree will make you a far better pilot in the long term.

A MECIR with 200 hours TT is a joke, you’re uninsurable and only your daddy will employ you.

It’s no coincidence that the providers of aviation degrees are mostly former hairdressing colleges now calling themselves universities.
Dont know about training standards down under but in Europe 200hrs is the point to advance onto turboprops/medium range jets. All works well here and I had no issues starting in an airline at that 'experience' level. I actually had 160TT when I flew my first passengers in a turboprop.

Anyway I agree the shortage is a scam the world over. I hate reading it and wish it could somehow be classed as false advertising and made illegal. A hiring boom is NOT a shortage. I have heard anecdotally that the US did actually have a shortage around 3 years back, though I don't know of any shortage to have occurred in Europe at least!