PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2021, 16:04
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinribs
.......a steward came in and said its bleeding chaos out there they have lost a bloody admiral back seater says o dear thats me.
Brill - love it!!!! Bit like some students back a day or 2 early after Summer Leave throwing out a scruffy urchin they found in the Wardroom dressed in mud-stained gardening gear. "Oh, I must really apologise for the state of my dress. I was just trying to pick up a bin bag [or something equally innocuous] from the Galley and really didn't expect to find anyone here today. Anyway, back off down the hill to my house. My apologies again lads! Bye!". As he wandered off, there was an eerie pause as the fact slowly sank in that the only house "down the hill" was the Skippers'...... Ooops! Well, he looked like one of the gardening staff!!!!

Or, the Navy providing SAR at Silverstone, when yet another oldish gent, this one in Sports Jacket, saunters up to the RN Cab and assembled bored aircrew lounging around awaiting any trade. "Afternoon chaps, thought I'd pop over and see how things are." On seeing some quizzical looks from the crew he decided he better explain his interest in their welfare ... "Oh, by the way, I'm FONAC." (Flag Officer Naval Air Command). Several then recognised/believed him - except for one at the front who said, words to the effect of "FONAC? Yer, right mate! And I'm the Queen of Sheba!!! And this is ......". As he turned round to introduce the person next to him as "Donald Duck" (or some such) he saw the look of absolute horror spreading over the faces of the rest of the crew!!!! When being told this story I was laughing so much by the end I never found out how FONAC took it!!!!!! Quite how the "guilty one" thought some posh bloke in the middle of the Silverstone circuit would even think of calling themselves FONAC if they weren't is, shall we say, "a tad short-sighted"!!!!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 14th Mar 2021 at 16:17.