PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are aviation degree students being told?
Old 14th Mar 2021, 14:01
Climb150

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
You could say the same thing about University courses in general. You need more supply than demand, as things change and people move on, quit, retire, die or whatever, it’s a fact of life.

To loosely suggest that they should stop training pilots is absurd thinking.
I'm not saying that at all. You have missed the point entirely. Anecdotal evidence suggests these unis grossly misrepresent the opportunities available to students on graduation.

Now the student should have a little more common sense than to think that when they finish they will walk straight into a dash 8 but unis need to be truthful about employment stats for graduates.

Actually whilst I don't think Unis should stop flight training completely, I do think Unis should not be able to access govt funds unless the admission prerequisites are much higher. You could rack up the same level of debt for a medical or law degree but at least these degrees have transferable skills. A CPL is a one trick pony and completely useless outside of flying planes. Getting into Law or Medicine also requires you to be crazy smart. Avaition degree courses seem to take anyone with a pulse.

​​​​

Last edited by Climb150; 14th Mar 2021 at 16:02.