PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Poseidon - Not too long to wait?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2021, 20:08
SLXOwft

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Not Long Here
The link in the comment above yours indicates that the Germans are going with the standard P-8 fit out on mission system and sensors as part of their FMS case
My apologies for my lack of clarity.

I was focusing on the discrepancy between the US DASC's “Germany plans to replace it with the P-8A Poseidon. The proposed sale will allow Germany to modernise and sustain its maritime surveillance aircraft capability for the next 30 years.” and (less than six months earlier) the French DSG's "We are going to initiate the first feasibility study. We decided with our German partner to start with the study of the mission system. This study will be entrusted in the coming weeks to the manufacturers corresponding to this phase of the program, namely Thales for France, and Hensoldt, ESG [Elektroniksystem] and Diehl for Germany.” I can’t imagine the feasibility study has already concluded it’s unfeasible.

I also can't imagine the French being very happy if the German's go with the P-8 as they were, in public at least, expecting a joint European designed and built programme. The German decision not to extend the OSD of their P-3's to the 2030's always appeared to have condemned the joint programme, especially if the Germans went for a purchase and not a lease of an interim replacement. To me the question is, what effect this will have on French faith in other joint programmes? EFA/Rafale anyone?