PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost the love for aircraft maintenance, help?
Old 13th Mar 2021, 09:02
Corrosion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 35years behind being grease monkey, still love it. But, change is good time to time. Longest period with one and only company was 19years, but this time included several fleet change and various extra courses/approvals, that kept my head going. Had difficulties to find "red string" few times, fortunately something new appeared before i decided to move on in hurry.
Never worked with really big company, i have a strong feeling that bit smaller companies may give more space for own thinking and there is no two identical days. (in good or bad)
Worked just recently couple of years on small-ish MRO, at some point i felt very unhappy because work was too monotonic. Daily-weekly-nightstops on apron, with aircraft type i don't like + just too rarely any real job (t/s, repair, etc etc)

Last year i decided to jump to another boat, again. Started new life with rotary wing machines, but still in floor lever maintenance which i still love.

Started my grease monkey life with general aviation, moved to airliner line maintenance, later on took 2 years stint on Scotland (first with line job, then another place with MRO), long time i did general aviation as 2nd job, came back to home and spent some time again with local MRO:s airliner department, now started something really new with rotary wing:s on national operator. Took big hit on my salary, but as i wrote, i need to be happy on my job and numbers on my monthly income is not most important as long as they cover my expenses.

My very good friend took another path with his working life. We spent years together on general aviation and short period on airliner world, then we went different ways. I stayed on floor level, he started to aim higher and today he is on management level.
EDIT: It says B1/B2/C on my Part66 License, think it is fair to say at this point. I mean, all this never came w/o some extra training, new things may keep your head working more happily.

Last edited by Corrosion; 14th Mar 2021 at 09:08.