PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse : The end of an era
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2021, 08:26
Idle Reverse

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fortissimo
Thud,

I do not know the officer of whom you speak. I do know that if you don't put good people into recruiting and training, all you succeed in doing is dragging everyone down to the same level of mediocrity. I am reminded of my time at the Towers (on a GE), when there was only one member of staff who went on to be relatively senior (gp capt) and even he was uninspiring. And a JP QFI who was barely able to fly the aircraft well enough to teach - a Victor co-pilot deemed unsuitable for command but whose ineptitude was acceptable as a handicap for those at the earliest stages of their flying careers. As ye sow....
I'm not sure if I’m reading / interpreting this correctly ?

But if the suggestion is that JC (Crayfish) was uninspiring or unpopular, then I couldn’t DISAGREE more ! I didn’t know JC at Linton but I knew him in the Bulldog world and subsequently in a far off sandy place, full of ex- RAF QFIs earning a fortune. The JC I knew well was a super chap; John had a great sense of humour, he was very much a social asset at parties and functions and he was always extremely popular with his students. To those who flew with him, and who might be wondering where he is now, I can tell you that he splits his time between his new home in New Zealand (8 month of the year) and his UK pad in Lincolnshire. I hope to have a catch up beer with him sometime this summer.

Happy days for me at Linton, back in 73-74, with a good bunch of QFIs on 1 Sqn 🤗