PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burying powerlines in Australia for an airstrip.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 23:00
Rosso Noche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mostlytossas
You are joking aren't you? Never heard of go around, late touchdown etc? Now on to the subject matter........If there is just 3 conductors it is likely it is the HV supply to the area feeding a step down transformer along the route somewhere. Probably 11,000 volt but may be higher.
A good guide as to the voltage is have a look at the insulators on the poles. That's those grey things (usually) but can be black or clear. How many rings are they along the insulator? If only 3 then around the 11,000 volt is my guess. More is higher 110,000 volt will have 8 or 10 rings etc.
The higher the voltage the more it will cost to put them underground because a higher grade insulated cable will be required along with the ducting etc. I don't know what the rules are in your state but usually only the power network will carry out this work so your at their mercy as to the cost. My rough guess is at least $20,000 depending on what type of soil your dealing with . Rock, clay etc. The obvious thing to do is go and see them and ask for an estimate before you do anything.
Hope that helps. Good luck.
Thanks mostlytossas. I appreciate the helpful reply. I’ll go down to the paddock and check out the insulators. I know nothing about this sort of thing so I really appreciate the information before I contact the power company. I just didn’t want to walk into the conversation with them without having some idea of the process/cost. Cheers, Rosso.