PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burying powerlines in Australia for an airstrip.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 22:55
Rosso Noche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Checkboard
As long as they're in the middle, you're fine - surely.

I mean, regardless of which direction you're landing - the 'planes on the ground at that point.
Hi Checkboard,

This has been suggested to me before and I know others have done it. If I was to only fly my aircraft off the property I wouldn’t need that much runway and I have options for smaller strips which don’t require the lines to be buried. However, I figure if I’m going to put a strip in, it would be nice to have it as an asset that I can advertise if ever I decide to sell; and it would be great to have a longer strip with bigger margins for my own operation. Additionally it would also be nice for friends with lower performance aircraft to be able to safely fly in. The chance of someone dropping in (invited or otherwise) to a strip with lines across it is outside of my risk profile. I know the onus is on the PIC to ensure the ALA is satisfactory, but I’ve still got to live with myself if someone hurts (or worse) themselves on an airstrip I put in.

Cheers, Rosso.