PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going North in 2021 for GA jobs? Is it worth it?
Old 12th Mar 2021, 20:03
Superfly Slick Dick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra, I owe you an apology.

In your last post, I had thought that you were a person trolling for laughs and I had made a comment as such.
Obviously that’s not the case, and you’re doing/preparing to do the hard work to get your first GA job.
Sorry.

Nevertheless, all the very best with it. Remember.. it all comes down to two things. Numbers, and ‘place and time’, so contact lots of companies.
Persistence is a good thing, and probably wont get you blacklisted! Also, take the first job that comes along with the view to upgrading later. Get that first experience, because once you have a job (as a pilot) its always easier to get the next better job; you’ll make friends/contacts in the industry and develop a good reputation if you’re a good operator.
Granted I didn’t ’go North’, as I did the instructor path. I started work as a Grade 3 instructor in 2004.. I think in the first month I only did 1.5 hours of flying. The company was dead. (Of course, no flying meant no money). I went through the company database and called everyone I could to encourage them to do some more flying lessons.
Until I was a Grade 1 instructor I had a small part-time job on the side that assisted. (Oh, and this is when I still lived at home with the parents).
Anyway, I earn $200-$250K a year now, and I reckon it was all worth it.

All the very best with that first job Petra.