PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2021, 11:14
petit plateau

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Several years ago I asked if studies were being done to retrofit mini-catapults to the QE's, sufficient to launch Hawk/Taranis size UAVs (9,000kg, 20,000lbs) or larger MQ-25 size (delivers 15,000 lb (6,800 kg) of fuel, prob about 40,000 lbs max weight). Response came there none, nor denial, which told me all I needed to know.

The Tesla model S Plaid has a top speed of 200 mph (320 km/h), go from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 1.99s and has regenerative braking. It weighs 4960 lbs, 2250 kg. There is more than one way of making a widget to accelerate/decelerate an aircraft rapidly down a deck and adapting the same commercial technology at both ends of the launch/recover sequence has some design/operate/train/maintain advantages. Technology in this area is progressing very quickly.

One option is angled catapult (added deck sponson, with or without some form of ramp) and angled recovery which has the advantage of leaving the main 'heavy' deck path clearer but the disadvantage of cutting into the port deck park area. As others have pointed out oleo loads on ramps are important. Just going down the main deck is the simplest path.

Last edited by petit plateau; 12th Mar 2021 at 11:17. Reason: delete repeat