PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going North in 2021 for GA jobs? Is it worth it?
Old 12th Mar 2021, 09:43
Kundry

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a reasonable amount of movements in the top end right now. The wet season was pretty full on with the ENSO and there's a lot of interstate tourism from WA / SA and a lot of territorians moving about for weekend getaways. Coffins, nurses and tourists still need flying... There's a metric duck load of pilots waiting in Darwin right now though. No CP has the time to reply to the resumes they receive by email. 1300 CPLs last financial year, think about how many emails are sent out by those graduates to their "big list of operators who's hiring mins on the website they meet". It's hard enough getting a hold of the CP when you're up here!

One of the pilots I spoke to in Kununurra about a month ago said he thinks the operator had around 10 people drop in with a resume so far. Meanwhile in Darwin I literally bumped in to another hopeful waltzing up to Air Frontier just as I left... So my advice would be to consider basing yourself in WA or even East Arnhem. There are a lot of operators out that way that will hire fresh CPLs. Also anecdotally I know another battler who recently got the first job after coming up to Darwin last wet season.

Kak Air seems to have taken on a handful of guys this season but that AOC is a but of a funny one. Dumping $4k on the GA ready course doesn't mean you get a job on the AOC. It will give you exactly what they state, i.e. 5hrs 200 series and a couple of other things. The GA Ready training program apparently fulfills their insurance requirement. That's not to say it will fill the insurance requirement for all the other GA operators up here. Anyway, chuck on From Little Things Big Things Grow and front the F up. Literally nothing will happen in terms of your flying career prospects if you sit around in Melbourne!

edit: high chance OP is a troll but jokes on you, this was a good opportunity to share some relevant info on the top end.

Last edited by Kundry; 12th Mar 2021 at 09:54.